Hi I'm Rob, Husband to MrsW and Father to 3 children (Big W, Thin Controller and small W). I started this blog after running the London Marathon in 2005 and mainly talked about my attempts at running. In November 2005 I was diagnosed with depression and spent 2 months off work. To say this was a shock to me is an understatement.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Interesting discovery

We have heat in the house in all bar 2 rooms the hall and the Lounge. The new radiators will are fitted its just they need connecting up to the rest of the system. I must say the plumbers have been excellent, though perhaps me making sure they were well watered with tea and feed with Ginger nuts helped!

As I type MrsW is putting the house back together.

The thin controller was a bit miffed yesterday when I told him we couldn't work on his model railway, though I was able to placate him by showing him the new track. I think I know what I will be doing at the weekend.

Managed a run this evening

7.1 Miles
1:04:12
Ave Pace 9:03
Ave Hr 145

Beginning to feel better about my running. I'm not running as fast as I was last year but I do seem to be running better - work that one out.

Now for my interesting discovery.

As you probably know I've been having problems with my sleep, waking up in the early hours of the morning and not been able to get back to sleep, just doozing. This has been getting me down at times. I've put this down to the depression as early waking is a sympton. However something had been bothering me. Previously I would wake up early in the morning realise what the time is and roll over and go back to sleep. Now I can't get back to sleep.

I was just chatting to someone about what medication I was on when I realised that this particular kind of sleepless nights started when I started my medication (fluoxetine). In fact when I first started taking it they were horrendous. So I put in Fluoxetine and insomnia and found this. I've cut the interesting bit out

"Anxiety and Insomnia:
During premarketing clinical trials, anxiety, nervousness and insomnia were reported by 10 to 15% of patients treated with fluoxetine. These symptoms led to discontinuation of the drug in 5% of the patients. "

So - It seems that insomnia is a fairly common side effect of my medication. Now I'm not stupid enough to just stop taking my medicine (it does its main job quite nicely thank you very much), but I will have to have a serious conversation with the Doc about it. MrsW posed an interesting question "If its the medicine, which is worse the insomnia or the depression?".

I don't think I have the answer to that one.

2 Comments:

Blogger beanz said...

good to find the reason for teh insomnia - doesn't sound a very good cure for depression though if that is a side effect

take care of yourself

xx

7:55 am

 
Blogger Evil Pixie said...

well that's comforting now off to see the Dr young man!!
I am currently having a similar problem with gnome as you are with the thin controller. Gnome wants
A) Airfix done NOW!
B) Loft area for train/scaletrex/airfix - yes I made a mistake he saw me looking at loft ladders!
So once BM is over this weekend I will be torn between loft and gardening!
Cheers mate!! hehe

10:55 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home