Hi I'm Rob, Husband to MrsW and Father to 3 children (Big W, Thin Controller and small W). I started this blog after running the London Marathon in 2005 and mainly talked about my attempts at running. In November 2005 I was diagnosed with depression and spent 2 months off work. To say this was a shock to me is an understatement.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Back to work

I didn't sleep very well last night, something to do with going back to work this morning. As I'm only doing part time I had enough spare time to go for a short recovery run, though with hindsight I wished I'd given it a miss, it left me feeling really tired.

I was apprehensive about today, how would I be treated? what would people say? I stood at the entrance briefly, took a deep breath and stepped in. I hadn't gone 5 steps before meeting someone "Hi Rob" and the person kept on walking, no big song and dance which is the way I wanted it. Went to say hello to the managers before heading for my desk just in case tehre was anything I needed to know before I even sat down. My boss wanted to chat to me, but had to see to something first.

Logged on ( I even remembered my passwords!!) and opened the dreaded inbox. A couple of people were taking good humoured guesses at how many e-mails I would have. 800, 1000, 1500? In the end the answer was 1432, yes that's one thousand four hundred and thirty two e-mails. Won't be reading all that will I? to be fair 1100 hundred were from automated systems telling me people had put comments in Problem Reports or this was the daily Problem Report status. These were ruthless dispatched using a CTRL-A followed by the key marked "Del". I then chose a people that would talk to me if there was anything important and deleted their e-mails without opening them. A cursory glance at the rest, nothing of importance - delete. Out of the all my e-mails I replied to 3 and talked to someone about a 4th. What does that tell you about e-mail????

Spent the rest of my time having a one on one with my boss, talking to people finding out what was going on and booking an appointment with the "I'm going to hurt you but it's good for you" lady. Everyone was great, just the whispered "nice to have you back" or wave of the hand. I work with some really great people. By 2:30 I was very tired and ready to finish, but the difficult bit is behind me now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Leon said...

Well done Robert...
:o)

10:50 pm

 
Blogger beanz said...

{{{Robert}}}

8:44 am

 
Blogger Evil Pixie said...

fantastic
well done!

6:47 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home