Hi I'm Rob, Husband to MrsW and Father to 3 children (Big W, Thin Controller and small W). I started this blog after running the London Marathon in 2005 and mainly talked about my attempts at running. In November 2005 I was diagnosed with depression and spent 2 months off work. To say this was a shock to me is an understatement.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Change of treatment

Was lucky enough to get an appointment to see the Doc today. What's even better was it was an evening appointment. Told my boss that I had an appointment to discuss my problems sleeping and he was and walking me off to the coffee shop for a cup of tea and a chat. He asked if everything was OK did I want to make any changes etc etc. I reassured him that I was fine it just that the sleepless nights were giving me problems.

Talked to the Doctor explained that I was still having problems with sleep and it wsa beginning to become an issue. She offered me 2 courses of treatment

1) A short term perscription of mild sleeping pills to see if it was just a remenant of the depression
or
2) A change to a less agitating medication.

I didn't liek the sleeping pills route, as if it is the Fluoxetine that is giving me the problems then the sleeping pills may mask the problem but when I stop them I'll be back to square one. So option 2 please. She thought it was a good long term plan as well. So I've got some new medicine - can't remember the name of it at the moment.

Changing medicine could get a little tricky. I have to wean myself off the Fluoxetine by taking it on alternative days before starting the new stuff. The problem with that is I could go back to being nervous/upset etc etc before the new stuff starts taking effect. Oh Joy!

The Doc offered to sign me off if need be but I said I would like to carry on. If I didn't feel up to working then I would just phone in sick. If it carried on then I would phone her and get an appointment/sick note.

I'll speak to he boss tomorrow and explain the situation to him. He'll then understand if I don't come in one day or go home at very short notice.

On the positive side I went for a run afterwards, schedule said tempo run and I felt like turning up the speed. So a gradual build of speed and then on warp factor 8 for a couple of minutes then slow down.
Here is the vital stats

MileTimeHR
19:21145
28:21158
37:01171
48:37163
4.544:58(9:15m/m)146


Total 4.54 miles in 38:19, Ave HR 157 and Ave pace of 8:26. Again I'm quite pleased with that effort.

3 Comments:

Blogger Evil Pixie said...

great news!
hope it works OK!

10:22 pm

 
Blogger beanz said...

so a good day with a good run

:>)

10:38 pm

 
Blogger Leon said...

Really nice run Robert...
I like the look of that
:o)

Take care of you with the regimen change

3:50 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home