Hi I'm Rob, Husband to MrsW and Father to 3 children (Big W, Thin Controller and small W). I started this blog after running the London Marathon in 2005 and mainly talked about my attempts at running. In November 2005 I was diagnosed with depression and spent 2 months off work. To say this was a shock to me is an understatement.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Listen to the Doctor

Back to running today YIPEE- its been 10 days since I last ran. Easy 5 miles just to make sure everything was OK after my cold (and curry the previous night!). 5.1 miles in 50min 10, good base training stuff I suppose.

Tried to make an appointment to see the Doc but was told that she was fully booked today and then out for the rest of the week. Bit of a problem my sick note runs out Wednesday. Explaine the situation to the receptionist who said not a problem and made a telephone appointment for this afternoon.

Called the Doc at the given time and had a chat. Although I'm feeling a lot better, her professional judgement was that I should not go back to work yet. Her reasoning was that I've only been on Prozac for 2 weeks and the first week can be really horrible ( I noticed!!), she would rather I gave it a couple more weeks to really settle down before doing anything else. I really wanted to go back to work, but she is the expert so I decided to follow her advice. I'm now on sick leave until 3rd Jan. I've to see her between Christmas and New Year and we can make a start/no start decision then.

2 weeks ago when I was told to stay off I was gutted and felt really down. Today I wasn't too bothered. I'd like to go back but not at the risk of the making things worse. Phoned the boss to tell him - his words where "That's an opinion I fully support". We've arranged to meet at Starbucks near work this week to have a chat about this and that.

See I do listen

3 Comments:

Blogger Leon said...

Excellent Robert
Taking the time is SO important - and also, MASSIVE respect to your boss. Good man!!!!

9:17 pm

 
Blogger beanz said...

great doc


great boss


great Rob

11:03 pm

 
Blogger Cath Delaney said...

You can also now relax and enjoy Christmas without the stress of work in the way. One thing at a time. This time of year is stressful enough as it is without work worries. Don't expect to 'feel' much different with the Prozac for another couple of weeks yet though. First week or two is horrid due to the side effects (nausea etc) but it takes a while for a decent level of the stuff to get into the system to be effective on a continual daily basis. (((hugs)))

Have a nice day (Tuesday)

6:30 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home