Hi I'm Rob, Husband to MrsW and Father to 3 children (Big W, Thin Controller and small W). I started this blog after running the London Marathon in 2005 and mainly talked about my attempts at running. In November 2005 I was diagnosed with depression and spent 2 months off work. To say this was a shock to me is an understatement.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Plan of attack

The past 2 days have been better. I've started taking the medicine, though reading the list of possible side-effects was a little duanting!

Came down with a cold so running is currently off the agenda. Sneaked into work on Saturday morning to collect a few things from my locker and leave my sick note on the boss's desk. Proceeded to spend the rest of the day watching rugby at my parents house, while the small W's did their own thing. Spent today watching Big W playing a local rugby derby. Unfortunately they lost, but he did get one of his typical "I'll take the ball off you and crash through the backs" tries. I'm taking him to see some real rugby at London Irish next weekend. We are both looking forward to that.

Did some research on the Web about returning to work after a prolonged period of absence and came across a useful publication from the Health and Safety Executive. They make some useful recommendations and observations. The overall idea is that it can be very benifical to allow someone on sick leave to attend work part-time to allow them to feel valued and build their self-confidence and companies should actively support this. Armed with this info I've pinged an e-mail of the boss asking him if I can make the occasionaly visit into work, just to see everyone. i then want to get back doing some hours, may not be a lot, but would be a start.

5 Comments:

Blogger Evil Pixie said...

don't rush anything and make sure you are 100% sure about anything and that you do it for YOU and no one else
Take care mate, we're all here for you
Pix

2:06 pm

 
Blogger beanz said...

errm I don't think you have been off very long yet


wait for the doc to say y'es go back'

don't rush it


take care

(((Rob)))

10:01 pm

 
Blogger womble said...

Rob, don't go back until you know why you went sick. The tablets will start to help you *feel* better but there is no point in rushing back things if nothing has changed. These things do take time, you know and I have been there myself. That's why I work part-time now :-)

9:57 am

 
Blogger womble said...

Err there's a spare 'things' in that last post. Doh......

9:58 am

 
Blogger RobW said...

Thanks folks - No need to worry I've no intention of doing anything called work before the Doc says its OK.

9:58 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home