Hi I'm Rob, Husband to MrsW and Father to 3 children (Big W, Thin Controller and small W). I started this blog after running the London Marathon in 2005 and mainly talked about my attempts at running. In November 2005 I was diagnosed with depression and spent 2 months off work. To say this was a shock to me is an understatement.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Eating Elephants

I've often been told the thing about eating an elephant. If you try and eat it in one go you ain't going to do it. Cut it into small pieces and you will. I'm trying to put that into practise. Little steps all the time are better than aiming for one big one and failing.

I suppose I was rewarded yesterday for this when I was asked to move up a swimming class. I'm now in Adult Improver III. That bouyed me up a little. Work followed the same pattern. There are a few nasty problems in the test system and the pressure is on to get the answers. This is fair and square down my street.

I do seem to have adopted a new view on it. I've tried really hard not to look at all the problems at the one time. Just pick one to concentrate on and then delegate the others to other people in the team. I then ask how things are at various points of the day. More seems to get done. Having said that I've never really liked asking people to do things for me because it can seem like ducking your responsibilty. There seems to be a pattern forming here......

3 Comments:

Blogger Leon said...

Delegation, my friend is completely about being accountable for those things for which you are responsible. And it seems that you are reaping the benfits of appropriate delegation in two ways..
Firstly the job is getting done efficiently..
and Secondly, you are not getting bogged down with the work load
Everybody wins!
Brill news on the swimming front too
[note to self - get swimming lessons sorted!]

9:54 am

 
Blogger Evil Pixie said...

oh fancy swimming! So if it's not FLM is it a tri!?!??!

10:40 am

 
Blogger RobW said...

[Gives pixie a "don't be silly" look]

8:16 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home