Hi I'm Rob, Husband to MrsW and Father to 3 children (Big W, Thin Controller and small W). I started this blog after running the London Marathon in 2005 and mainly talked about my attempts at running. In November 2005 I was diagnosed with depression and spent 2 months off work. To say this was a shock to me is an understatement.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Hot and Bothered

It's been a while since I last blogged but I've been a bit busy.

Was part of the support crew for Leon, V-rap, Duck and Pixie at Trailwalker. They recorded a fantastic sub-26 hour walk. In some perverse way I really enjoyed being woken up at 1 in the morning and told to get the kettle on. I may even have to be support crew next year. The adventure is written up properly here.

What else have I been up to? Buying and assembling a trailer to carry all the camping stuff for our holidays in just over 2 weeks. Various house admin tasks and working.

Work still has its good days and bad days. The beginning of this week was good, all was not well with a test build so I got to look at what was wrong. With the help of others got it to the stage where it didn't need quite so much of my time. Wednesday was a bad day couldn't get going and seemed to drift through the day. Today I was at an all-day off-site meeting. It was OK chipped in when I needed to, otherwise play with the laptop wireless connection - reading e-mails.

Now for the main part.
Had an appointment with the company Doctor last week. This time with my boss. My boss had a half hour chat with the doc and Human resources without me first. This was one of the most uncomfortable meetings I've had. I struggle to work out if it was good or bad.

My performance at work is not what it used to be, so its a sign that I'm still not altogether better. So I'm to be put on a "Performance Improvement Plan" or a PIP as a way of monitoring my progress. To me this carries a great deal of stigma. A PIP is normalled reserved for people that are not pulling their weight and are in danger of being sacked for poor performance. I'm not in danger of this - I'm on this because I need help in getting better, but I don't like the idea of not being trusted and being monitored. I found the thought of this so distressing that I actually started crying in the meeting.

The doctor is also unhappy with my recovery. He feels that I have entered a plateau stage. I've got 80% of the way back, but I still have problems that need resolving. What the problems are he doesn't know and he feels that I'm unable to recognise the problems for what they are. To this end he has recommended that I see a Pyschologist for a proper in-depth probing. Again I see this as having a stigma I know I shouldn't but I do. Perhaps that's part of my problem I see failures or weaknesses by me as some kind of dishonour, causing me to question my value. instead I should just see them as the things that make us human. After all a few people have said I can be hyper-critical of myself.

I go see my own doc next week and she'll do the referal. The company health insurance want be to see a Pyschiatrist first before they'll pay for a Pyschologist . Mad ain't it!

4 Comments:

Blogger Evil Pixie said...

{{ROB}}
FWIW You make the best tea!
You were a star on the TW and that just proved what a great team member you are. You more than pulled your weight. You were an integral and important team member. Without you, and the other 2 support guys, the team would not have got such an amazing time.
You threw yourself into supporting 4 nutters (you'd only meet Leon once!) and working with 2 others and you made one hell of a success of it! YOU ARE BRILLIANT!
Just remember that!
When you have low moments remember how important you were to the overall success and that we're arguing over who gets the tea next year!
Thank You Rob!
You are a total star!

10:39 am

 
Blogger Leon said...

What Pix said!

If you are anything like the Rob I met and depended upon on TW, when you are working - then they are very lucky to have you!

's what I think anyway

The important thing is that you get back to a point where you are strong in yourself and in all aspects of your life.
The path to that is simply that.. a path.. a means to and end.

I'll not pretend that I know what it's like for you because I don't, but there are people with far more insight than me who inhabit these parts.

But you know where I am and how to contact me if you want to

Thinking of you Rob

4:07 pm

 
Blogger RobW said...

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Leon you are right its a path going from one place to the next. It may be a bit rocky and tough but I'll get there, especially with support from my friends.

6:08 pm

 
Blogger womble said...

Rob it looks like people are on your side at work and trying to help you. I know it's hard sometimes but if you can accept what they're offering then some good may come of it.

Take care

xxxx

9:22 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home