Hi I'm Rob, Husband to MrsW and Father to 3 children (Big W, Thin Controller and small W). I started this blog after running the London Marathon in 2005 and mainly talked about my attempts at running. In November 2005 I was diagnosed with depression and spent 2 months off work. To say this was a shock to me is an understatement.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

I'm back

Back from holiday a very nice relaxing camping break near Porlock in Somerset. The campsite was on National Trust land and had some fantastic walks in the woods and by the rivers. The site owner even had a riding stables at the site, so we took the opportunity of letting the boys have a pony ride near the site. They absolutely loved it.

Its the first time on Holiday that I've been happy to sit down and enjoy the surrondings. Pity I had to come back really.

So what have I come back to? Had a positive meeting with the company Doc just before I went away. He'd been in contact with my own Doc (they know each anyway). I've been approved to go to 6 hours a day with discretion to do 8 hrs on the odd day. However both him and my Doc agree that when I go to 8 hrs a day it means 8hrs a day. It is not a license to pile in the hours, despite what may be going on. Its a sentiment I fully agree with.

I took the opportunity of doing some reflecting on life in general. I definitely think I'm more relaxed about things. I'll actually sit down and have coffee with someone at work for the sake of having a coffee and a chat. Another example is that normally having come back from Holiday I'll remotely logon to work and have a browse of my e-mails. The thought hasn't even crossed my mind this time. Maybe I am better, have to see what happens next week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Evil Pixie said...

good news mate ... nice and easy does it!

12:58 pm

 
Blogger beanz said...

welcome back - pleased it was a good break :>)

5:23 pm

 
Blogger Cath Delaney said...

Hi Rob, glad you enjoyed your break. Your return to work is seeming much more constructive this time around. It takes some doing to reorganise and rethink your work practices and not get into old habits. I've only recently become accustomed to the idea of "if it isn't finished Thursday afternoon, it can wait until Monday". I've not brought work home now since April 1st and it's amazing. Even the marking I did at work. Occasionally, I work a little later at work (8am-6pm) in order to finish something because I'd rather do that than blur the sacred line between work and home. It's rare though now and I basically leave a 'to do' list on my desk for the next time I'm in the office so that I don't forget what I was doing.

Really well done with taking a week out. It's not easy to let the mindset be free of work for a whole week!

8:08 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home