Hi I'm Rob, Husband to MrsW and Father to 3 children (Big W, Thin Controller and small W). I started this blog after running the London Marathon in 2005 and mainly talked about my attempts at running. In November 2005 I was diagnosed with depression and spent 2 months off work. To say this was a shock to me is an understatement.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Pros and Cons

Been an interesting week and a bit

Work has come good on the laptop panniers. The arrived at the beginning of this week. Its really great fits the laptop and all my bits and pieces along with a change of clothing. The only problem is its a fair weight on the bike, feel a little lopsided at first, but I've got used to it. Also with the work buying it for me I feel obliged to cycle into work. Exercise is a good thing isn't it.

Saw my own Doc last week and she was pleased with my progress and she doesn't want to see me for another 4 weeks. I was feeling great maybe it was just a day after coming back from holiday. Things started taking a turn for the worse after that. Had my routine one on one with my boss and I asked how he felt things were going, I was somewhat shocked to find that people were concerned that I was underperforming. What really did annoy me was that I'll be receiving a poor 6 month apprasial.

Hold on a minute I've been off work for 2 months, shouldn't have been at work for the 2 months before that and I'm only just getting back into the swing of things. To say I'm a little miffed is an understatement. Since then I've been getting a little stressed worried about what other people are thinking about my performance. Had an appointment with the company Doctor Wednesday and I took the oportunity to discuss it with him. He told me not to worry, some people were having unreasonable expectations of me at this moment. I've taken a considerable knock and can't be expected to be back to my old self for sometime yet.

The Doc also commented that I wasn't as happy as I was, so we had a chat about the job. The conclusion is that my role needs to be better defined and what is being expected of me. He's stepped me up to 7 hours instead of the 8 because I'm not ready.

I need to get things at work sorted

4 Comments:

Blogger Evil Pixie said...

Good Plan ... the cycling will be good because you will HAVE to leave so as not to be late home! also gives you thinking time, just like running!
and now you have 4 nutters to think about ... you can spend ours considering compeed and kendal mint cake!!

2:34 pm

 
Blogger womble said...

Before you accept the appraisal, make sure that there has been a very objective review of your performance. Working short hours is not the same as underperforming. You can work perfectly well in the hours that you are there. Have you been given any inkling that you've not completed tasks successfully/on time/whatever?

If you are not performing to the required spec, then make sure you've been given the appropriate support given that you've returned from sick leave and are not yet up to full strength. For your sake, do not let them walk all over you. I know it will be difficult but take care of yourself.

xxxxxxxx

7:37 pm

 
Blogger beanz said...

Womble is wise

take care

xx

8:57 pm

 
Blogger womble said...

How's it going, Rob?

9:36 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home