Hi I'm Rob, Husband to MrsW and Father to 3 children (Big W, Thin Controller and small W). I started this blog after running the London Marathon in 2005 and mainly talked about my attempts at running. In November 2005 I was diagnosed with depression and spent 2 months off work. To say this was a shock to me is an understatement.

Friday, September 02, 2005

Stop - your scaring me

This should have gone out on Friday - Saved it to drafts by mistake....

Bumped into a triathlete friend of mine in the coffee lounge at work and asked him about what sort of training I should do for a duathlon. I was expecting the long slow bike runs to build up endurance with a couple of speed reps thrown in. How wrong could I be. He recommended that I should do all of my cycling as relatively short but fast. OK I thought could just about handle that. Then he told about the best session which he called the "Brick" session. This was a 20 min cycle followed by a 10 minute run - this is supposed to help with the transition phase of going from cycling to running. Seemed like a good idea - then he let me into the gory details. The cycle was to be really hard only a beat or 2 off maximum and at the end of the 20 mins I should be working so hard that tunnel vision should be starting!!!!!

It was at this point I thought I'd better stop talking to him as he was scaring me.

Been to see the chiro again. He is very pleased with my progress so much so that he didn't need to give me any treatment. We did however go through the gait scan which was interesting as you could see the pressure and movement of my foot. The orthos should be ready in 2-3 weeks. I can't wait for them to arrive and start get back into running starting with some nice short jogs on the treadmill.

In the meantime I'll have to satisfy myself with some severe oxygen deficit training :0)

6 Comments:

Blogger beanz said...

so you're cycling to work faster now are you?

2:08 pm

 
Blogger Evil Pixie said...

see that's why I just plod!

3:56 pm

 
Blogger Cath Delaney said...

there's nowt wrong with brick sessions - especially if you can get out of the house quick enough to keep the intensity going and the heart rate up..

;o)

6:49 pm

 
Blogger RobW said...

Beanz - Averaged 18.4 mph on the way into work this morning which is good for me.

8:20 am

 
Blogger Cath Delaney said...

all we need to do now is get you into a pool!

;o)

10:18 am

 
Blogger RobW said...

Been in a pool twice in the past week - but put to shame by the swimming ability of 9 yr old BigW. I'll stick with Duathlon thanks you.

6:52 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home