Hi I'm Rob, Husband to MrsW and Father to 3 children (Big W, Thin Controller and small W). I started this blog after running the London Marathon in 2005 and mainly talked about my attempts at running. In November 2005 I was diagnosed with depression and spent 2 months off work. To say this was a shock to me is an understatement.

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Three peaks

This week is cutback so I had a comfortable 8 miles instead of a long 14. At least the plan said comfortable 8 miles. I've been worried recently about my ability to do hills so I decided a hiller route was called for. When I say hilly I mean a couple of 30-40 metre climbs and a couple of miles of rolling country lane. Although the hills aren't high they are a bit steep, sort of short sharp shock.

The route was carefully chosen to avoid wimping out, all the hills lay on the way back home so they had to be done if I wanted to get home.

Number 1 A32 out of Wickham. Longest and highest of the climbs. A main road where the road traffic going up the hill gets 2 lanes to the downhill one lane, gives you an idea of the nastiness of the hill.

Number 2 North Hill shortest but the steepest about 25 metres in 200 hundred metres, lovely!

Number 3 an Old friend of mine only goes up about 30 metres in .4 mile BUT its the last .4 of mile of the run.

I was right the climbs were hard work but there was a couple of long downhill sessions to recover. All in all 8.4 in just under 1hr 11min with a AHR of 153 (told you there was downhill recoveries)

Only downside is my plantar whatever you call it is hurting again. I may convert tomorrow's 3 mile recovery run into an extra rest day - no need to kill myself quite yet.....

3 Comments:

Blogger Evil Pixie said...

Hills are the spawn of the devil!
Before i moved my hills were canal bridges now they are horrid nasty things that go on forever and send my HR racing and my legs screaming. Leicesterchire don't do small hills
:-(
Wild Will says hills are good for the sole!
I normally trot (haha) up hills with "hill not going to beat me" repeating in my head!

12:03 pm

 
Blogger Unknown said...

go on ya Rob-going strong. rest day sounds like a wise option.

12:16 pm

 
Blogger beanz said...

what do you do for your plantar wotsit?

I have a slanty footrest thingy under the desk, which sets my feet at an ankle- was a great help on the only (touch wood) occasion when I had a bout of the PF.

also used it for standing on at an ankle at that time

and use it all the time now

7:43 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home