Hi I'm Rob, Husband to MrsW and Father to 3 children (Big W, Thin Controller and small W). I started this blog after running the London Marathon in 2005 and mainly talked about my attempts at running. In November 2005 I was diagnosed with depression and spent 2 months off work. To say this was a shock to me is an understatement.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Nice flight pity about the airports

I've now made 9 trips to the states on Business in the past 4 and a bit years, so I've racked up some airmiles, not a lot by some peoples standards but enough for the occasional points upgrade into Business Class. Last nights flight was one of those trips where I treated myself to an upgrade. When I called to make the change I was told by the operator to go buy a lottery ticket as I had just got the last seat in Business.

Went off to the airport (Dulles @ Washington) after some last minute shopping at one of the big Malls. As my company puts a lot ( and I mean a lot - think large American Corporation ) of business United Airlines way everyone gets a silver card which means we get to check-in at Business desks instead of at the economy desks -saves queing well thats the theory. For some unknown reason it took me 15 minutes to check-in by the time I'd checked in it was was 35 minutes before boarding time and I was so looking forward to the Red Carpet lounge. That was until I saw the queue to go through security - another 25 minutes down the tubes.

Dulles has a really weird way of moving people around the airport, its gates are like islands in the middle of the airport away from the main building and you reach them by these funny looking bus things, another 5 minutes wasted, I actually reached the gate as they were calling the plane to board. So I just walked straight onboard. It was at this point things started looking up - now I'll warn you now, If you have only ever flown by cattle class then you may want to stop reading.....

So get on the plane sit yourself down workout what each of the half dozen seat adjustment controls do when a stewardess comes round bearing a tray of drinks (btw we are still at the gate)

"What would you like sir?"
"Oh I'll have the champagne"

Just after take off another stewardess comes round
"Mr W - what would you for dinner?" Note she calls me by my name
I peruse the menu and decide on the shrimp and parma ham starter, followed by the Chicken. The menu also lists the 8 different wines on offer.

Then drinks service
"What would you like sir?"
"Do you have a single malt?"
"Glenlivet ok sir?"
"Yes please"
"Be careful of the bowl of peanuts sir, they were in the oven slightly too long"

10 minutes later

"Another Glenlivet sir?"
"Perhaps not 2 before dinner but maybe after dinner"

Dinner Time, Stewardess comes and asks me to pull out my tray from the seat arm, after I do this she then puts a minature table cloth over the tray and asks "What dressing would you like on your salad - Ceasar or Balsamic?"
A very nice tray with real crockery arrives in front of me with just the starter and salad. Another stewardess arrives and asks which wine I would like and proceeds to pour it from a proper bottle rather than these horrible minatures into a proper wine glass.

The main course was also very nice, and then it was time for the ice cream or cheese board. The stewardess with the pre-dinner drinks reappears " Would you like that Glenlivet now sir?" "oh yes please" Proceed to polish that off, watch the end of "Master and Commander", set my chair to near enough horizontal, extend the leg rest, put in the ear plugs and put on the supplied blindfold and go to sleep.

Wake up a good few hours later with a full glass of water by my side (I'm sure it was half empy when I went to sleep) and was served a very nice fruit salad and croissant. There is also an invite to use the Fast Track through immigration oh yes no queing I think.

Arrive at Heathrow a little early and scurry of to immigration, hand in my invite for Fast Track and join the queue of about 15 people. 10 minutes later I'm still standing there. Finally decide that I'd be quicker going through the usual channel which it was - so much for Fast Track!!.

Finally get to Baggage to find my bag sitting by the side with its nice bright Prioirty tag while everyone else is waiting for theirs to arrive on the baggage belt. Then off to met the taxi driver off home a very pampered Rob.

I did some counting First and Business class on a United 777 has a total of 61 passengers, we had 7 or eight cabin crew to look after us. Economy has 197 passengers with 5 or 6 cabin crew no I understand why a Business class seat is about 5 to 6 time more expensive than economy!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Evil Pixie said...

Git!







:-D

4:07 pm

 
Blogger beanz said...

what, no on board gym?





welcome home

5:17 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home